was born in Guilford County, North Carolina, on the 2nd of April 1776 and died in the city of Knoxville, East Tennessee on the 25th of October 1838. He became a member of the Presbyterian church at the early age of eleven and died in its communion in the sixty-third year of his age having been a professor and teacher of the same faith more than half a century. The labours of this pious devoted and zealous servant of the Lord as Pastor of the first Presbyterian church in Knoxville commenced in the spring of the year 1812 and terminated with his death in the fall of the year 1838, having laboured in this vineyard of his master more than twenty six years.
“Mark the perfect man and behold the upright for the end of that man is peace”
Sacred to his memory, great moral worth and pure Christian character. This slab is Erected to mark the place of his burial by the Ladies of Knoxville.